A Darkness in Eldmore
Here are the character creation guidelines I have proposed for the campaign.
1. The PCs are starting at 4th level.
2. We will use the Sanity ability score option, DMG 264.
3. Ability scores will be determined using the standard set (15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 8) or with the Customizing Ability Scores system, 30 points allocated, described on page 13 of the PHB. (Remember that you have 7 ability scores to fill, not the usual 6.)
a. No PC can have a modified ability score over 17 as a 1st level character. At 4th level all of the PC’s should get one ability score adjustment, so the maximum starting ability score is 19.
b. The minimum ability score allowable is a modified 8.
c. No min / maxing please. I try to make my adventures very well rounded, and combat effectiveness is only part of what you need to have to be successful.
4. No multi-classing. Sorry. It encourages min / maxing and, I believe, it can defeat the spirit of the game.
5. Load out your PC with all of the starting gear that’s appropriate. I will assign additional gear to reflect that you’re 4th level.
a. Please be aware that I run low magic item game, I prefer that the PC’s rely on their wits and abilities to get through situations and combat.
b. Also be aware that I do use the encumbrance rules, and I count coinage toward weight. Keep this in mind when you’re equipping your character.